© This website and its content including photographs are the copyright of Cliff and Jan Cowin and parts have been based on extracts from their book ‘The Idyll in the Middyl’. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system. 2006 -
Property for sale in North Stifford Grays Essex and Stifford Green
Houses for sale and to let in North Stifford Village and Stifford Green..
Thatched Cottages for sale
North Stifford Village
Stifford Green (formerly the Ardale Approved School)
Taken from an article by Jonathan Catton Heritage & Museum Officer.
The former Ardale school site has now been transformed into Stifford Green housing development.
The black and white photograph shows a range of buildings, joined by gravel paths running between the buildings and through what looks like well tended rose beds, box hedges, benches and lawns. A small car is parked close to the buildings.
The central building, which has survived the development, looks remarkably like a water tower. The flanking buildings have an air of the 'barrack block' about their design and these have now been destroyed.
The photograph must post date the 1914-
The Stepney Children's Home was set up in 1902 to accommodate both orphaned and poor children from that London district. It is believed that there was a theme of agricultural training work, and nearby fields were used for growing a range of market garden crops.
By 1935 the site had changed its roll into an 'approved' school, changing again in 1959 to a Community Home (education) under the control of the London Borough of Newham. It finally closed in 1994.
'Ardale' gets its name from a previous Lord of the Manor of Stifford, John Ardalle, who lived here in the 16th century. I wonder if he ever thought his name would have continuity into the 21st century!
Aspects of History through the
eyes of a small English village
Limited edition now available
112 pages packed full
more than 200 pictures